Stallion Barn Yarns
- Stallion name: PIERRO
- Breeding: 2009 Bay Stallion by Lonhro out of Miss Right Note (IRE)
- Stud name: Coolmore, Jerry’s Plains NSW
- Fee: $77,000 Inc GST
- Key statistics and information:
- Undefeated Triple Crown winning 2yo
- Five times Group 1 winner
- Timeform’s highest rated juvenile in Australasia since Luskin Star in 1977.
- The best horse ever trained by Champion trainer Gai Waterhouse
1. What was the best horse you beat on the track?
Not wanting to boast, but I beat 29 individual G1 winners over the course of my career, so plenty of good horses have had to chase me home! Defeating 8-time G1 winner More Joyous in the Canterbury Stakes at WFA was a particularly proud moment for me, but when you can sit back and see the likes of Shoot Out, Green Moon, All Too Hard, Danleigh, Reliable Man, It’s A Dundeel, Your Song, Dear Demi and Epaulette amongst the list of horses that I’ve been too good for, it’s a pretty fulfilling.’
2. What do you enjoy most about stud life?
I’ve settled into the relaxed nature of stud life pretty quickly. It was an incredibly intense period of time from June 2011 through to April 20th 2013 when I ran my last race. I worked exceptionally hard to prove myself the very best and I feel that I did that, so now I’m proud to have found myself at a farm like Coolmore. It’s beautiful here, very tranquil and I love my time in the paddock each morning. I enjoy the early starts – it reminds me of what it was like at Tulloch Lodge. Greg, Donna & Alex visit me regularly which is fantastic also! The lads telling me that I’m doing a good job which is a relief and I’ve heard I’ve got my early mares in-foal - Skates, Empress Rock, Indian Ocean, Soul Singer and Patasi – so everything is going well!
3. Do you think you will be covering mares in the 2014 Northern Hemisphere season?
I’d love to go to the Northern Hemisphere for the breeding season up there! Apparently there is a statue of my great grandfather Sadler’s Wells at the Coolmore farm in Ireland, so it would be awesome to see that. I’m told that it gets bloody cold in Ireland, so that would take a bit of getting used to and I’ve never been on a plane, but So You Think has been on lots of them and says it’s great fun!
4. What maiden filly would you most like to cover this year?
I’ve met a few already this season and I’m told I’ll be meeting plenty more, so I don’t want to offend any of my past or future companions by identifying anyone specific! But purely from a professional point of view, you can’t but admire what Black Caviar achieved on the track and Atlantic Jewel is a bit of a pin-up girl at the moment!
5. What is your favourite colour? Black, Grey, Brown, Bay or Chestnut
As you can imagine for someone of my age and experience, I’m not choosy! I’ve seen plenty of each already!
6. If you were a human what would your profession be?
I’m not sure about what profession, but I’d like to think I’d be regarded as something of a cross between James Bond and Floyd Mayweather – unbeatable at my best and always getting the job done with something of a swagger and a touch of class!