Takedown denied Winterbottom defence

Wednesday 8 November 2017, 6:19pm

Takedown's defence of the Group One Winterbottom Stakes in Perth has been thwarted by a foot laceration.

The five-year-old gelding's preparation ended at Randwick on October 28 when he suffered the injury at the start of the Filante Handicap.

"At the start he jumped slightly sideways and Kaepernick's aluminium plate has come in contact with his foot," trainer Gary Moore said.

"It's nobody's fault. These things happen in racing."

Moore said the laceration was stitched and Takedown would spell for about a month, ruling him out of the $1 million Winterbottom Stakes (1200m) at Ascot on December 2.

"We had a great time last year and unfortunately we're not going to make it this year," Moore said.

The mishap capped a challenging campaign for Takedown, who finished last in the Filante Handicap, 13 lengths behind winner Cabeza De Vaca.

In his previous start he was 10th in the Listed Sydney Stakes and earlier he was unable to defend The Shorts and Premiere Stakes, lead-up races to the inaugural $10 million Everest on October 14.

Winning back-to-back Winterbottom Stakes became the focus for Moore after Takedown missed a slot in the world's richest race on turf.

– AAP

Latest News

Criquette Head-Maarek announces retirement

Today, 11:04am

Cri­quette Head-Maarek, the train­er of du­al Prix de l'Arc de Tri­om­phe win­n­er Treve, has an­nounced her re­tire­ment.  More »

Winx pleases in barrier trial

Today, 9:25am

Cham­pi­on Winx has fin­ished mid­field in a sat­is­fy­ing bar­ri­er trial ahead of her next cam­paign.  More »

Country Music Stars To Invade Tamworth Racecourse On Australia Day

Today, 9:06am

A feast of Aussie Day rac­ing ac­tion kicks off this Thurs­day when Tam­worth pre­sents their Coun­try Mu­sic Cup race meet­ing on the eve of Aus­tralia Day.  More »

More news headlines »